Friday, November 11, 2011

I totally twitter-jinxed this game: Minnesota @ San Jose, Nov 10, 2011

Twitter is a very useful and powerful tool. A single tweet can set off a chain reaction of events that could (hypotheticaly) destroy the universe!! (in a "butterfly effect" sort of way, minus Ashton Kutcher [@aplusk]). I was blissfully ignorant of its actual power and I'm sorry for that, but I totally jinxed it on Twitter today.

Perhaps it was when I first tweeted the photo of my impulse buy at Target today:

Hey! I bought a baseball cap of a hockey team!!
Not only was I shirtless (and not in a Fabio attractive kind of way), but I was totally jinxing it. Introducing a new piece to my game-day outfit while the Wild are on a hot streak?? WHAT WAS I THINKING?! (If they say that players don't wash their jock straps when they're on a hot streak, well you can call it a half jinx because I changed my underwear every day during the 5-game streak)

Exhibit two:

Late in the 2nd period, the Wild were down 2-0. The frame was winding down, and I thought "nothing better than a goal to spark up this team!!" You know, momentum going into an intermission. (and by intermission I mean where the players sit in the locker-room for 17 minutes not playing hockey)

I tweeted this ambiguous cry for action:

Oh I got my wish, alright.
Not sure exactly how much time passed between that tweet and Torrey Mitchell blasting a one-timer off a faceoff that surprised Backstrom... but it was less than your average Looney Tunes short. It wasn't until I saw that puck cross the goal line that it hit me: I had totally jinxed it.

I'm not gonna go as far as to tweet sweet nothings in the Los Angeles Kings' ear, but I should start using these powers for good, and not evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment